What is Lumen Institute?
Lumen Institute is an organization that provides highly personalized formation for leaders. It was founded in 2005 by a small group of New York businessmen, a few members of Regnum Christi and Legionary of Christ priests. Together, they responded to a critical need for faith-based formation for today’s business leaders. Today, Lumen has grown into five chapters throughout the United States; including the original chapter in the New York metropolitan area, Chicago, Washington D.C., Houston and Atlanta. Lumen is still growing and additional new chapters are underway now.
What is Lumen’s Mission
Lumen’s Mission is to enhance the character, faith, and leadership skills of today’s business and cultural leaders through guided training and education.
What does the word ‘Lumen’ Mean
Lumen is a Latin noun meaning light. It is also used to connote clarity and understanding.
What is Formation?
Formation involves guiding, training and educating each member in an integral way. This guidance has four dimensions: human formation (as it pertains to character development), spiritual formation (rearing of the soul), intellectual formation (to grasp reason and revelation) and apostolic formation (to put one’s talents at the service of others).
Why did Lumen begin?
Lumen began as a response to a real need for ongoing formation of today’s top business and cultural leaders in right thinking and behavior. This need was evidenced by the recent U.S. corporate scandals that saw greed, lack of integrity and accounting fraud on the part of executives take down once formidable companies (Enron, Tyco, Global Crossing, WorldCom, etc).
What are Lumen’s Core Values?
Lumen has identified three specific areas where it seeks to form and strengthen its members: Character – Faith – Leadership. Within each category lay more specific values, as follows:
- Spiritual Drive – a firm desire to live one’s faith in thought and action.
- Prayer – regular communication with God seeking His will and friendship.
- Stewardship – maximizing personal and professional resources entrusted by God.
- Confidence in God – a willingness to place trust in the hands of Providence.
- Excellence – the pursuit of distinction in business, family, and community life.
- Integrity – consistency between what one professes to be and how one lives.
- Magnanimity – commitment to serve by putting others’ needs first.
- Influence – moving others to think and act uprightly through conscientious effort.
Why were these core values selected?
These core values were selected as they give a clear roadmap to right Christian living and the qualities inherent to high impact leadership. The goal of the Lumen member is to imitate Jesus Christ – the leader par excellence – who lived these values and taught others how they establish true love of God and neighbor. Every Lumen aspect keys of these core values.
What is the Lumen Pin and what does it symbolize for the Lumen Member?
Upon entering Lumen you will be pinned with the Lumen Insignia which will remind you of the central mission of Lumen – to enlighten you with Christ’s living gospel, give you an integral formation through the Lumen Virtues and so prepare you to be light for your family, business and community. Read More >>
What is the goal of formation?
The primary goal of formation is to help each member know what is truly best for him/her. This would include acquiring the habits of truth (in business and personal life), goodness (in thought and action), beauty (in respecting created things) and unity (by being one person of character inside and out).
Why is Lumen’s formation highly personalized?
Each member of Lumen Institute, by virtue of their call to lead, carries a heavy cross. Thus, Lumen seeks to provide these high impact individuals with attention commensurate to their leadership responsibility.
What kind of person does Lumen seek for membership?
Lumen is looking to grow its membership by associating leaders of professional responsibility who are introspective, desire virtuous light for their path and the means to pursue excellence in every aspect of their lives: personally, professionally, and spiritually.
What constitutes highly personalized formation?
Members are given formative opportunities by way of
- Spiritual Coaching: Each member has the ability and privilege to meet regularly one-on-one with a Chaplain to develop spiritual progress in the life of leadership according to personal circumstances.
- Leadership Circles: Each member can participate in open yet confidential forums to come along side and learn from one’s peers of like-mind and similar responsibilities.
- Speaker Series: Regular opportunities to hear top flight speakers in the areas of business and culture in order to assimilate from today’s most recognized influencers the qualities inherent to leadership
- Issues in Play: Highly customized series on the most important spiritual, business and cultural topics of the day
- Special Events: Yearly Bible Boot Camps, Member Retreat and National Retreat (includes spouses), Pilgrimages
What do members commit to?
Members commit to:
- Living by Lumen’s core values of character, faith and leadership,
- Persevering in formation offered through the Institute,
- Engaging in projects that help exercise their influence and re-shape culture, and
- Financially supporting Lumen’s administration and leadership initiatives according to one’s ability and means, minimally through an annual membership fee.
What is it?
Retaining a personal and professional coach is almost a given among today’s top business leaders. Some studies suggest that as many as 85% of executives meet regularly with a coach. Through Lumen’s chaplaincy, directed by priests of the Legionaries of Christ, members have access to a different type of personal coaching – one that is focused primarily on spiritual formation.
Spiritual coaching goes way beyond the pursuit of professional goals, and emphasizes growth in faith and character. In these sessions, members identify their strengths and weaknesses in living out Lumen’s core values such as integrity and excellence. The spiritual coach works with the member to discern motives and identify areas for improvement. The member then creates a blueprint for better living and greater capacity for leadership. They use an exclusive tool offered through Lumen called the Business Plan for the Soul.
During subsequent sessions, the member adds to and refines this business plan to reflect successes in their personal development and to identify new opportunities for growth.
Is there any activity that non-members may attend to learn more?
Yes. Our Lumen Leadership Speaker Series™ is an event open to all individuals interested in learning more about the qualities inherent to leadership.
Lumen Chapters are currently in Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Manhattan, Washington DC.
If you would like to be connected to local chapter leadership, please contact us.